Founded 1903

Co. Meath

Match Report: Curraha v Na Fianna. Senior Football Championship 30/07/2023

Download our mobile app to hear more about Curraha.

See More

Curraha travelled to Batterstown to face Na Fianna in the opening round of the Senior Football Championship. It may be the middle of the summer, but the game was played in dreadful conditions with the rain that had fallen throughout the day continuing during the game.

Na Fianna were quickest of the blocks and opened up a four point lead in the opening 5 minutes as Curraha struggled to settle into the game. James McEntee registered their first score in the 8th minute firing over after good work by Ronan Flynn down the right. Jamie Queeney scored Na Fianna's 5th point, with Conor Moriarty responding with a free. Curraha reduced the gap to 2 points a minute later, Gavin Coyle capping an excellent team move and putting the ball over the bar. Dan Queeney was on target with a 20th minute free, with the last score of the half coming from Padraig O'Hanrahan in the 28th minute following an excellent break started by a Niall Murphy turnover.

It was a frustrating first half for Curraha who left behind a number of scoring opportunities as they registered 6 wides in the opening period, leaving them trailing 6 points to 4. They also lost Neil Shortall to injury toward the end of the half, with Phelim Dowling replacing him for his first appearance since moving abroad 3 years ago. Curraha had been unable to impose themselves on the game with Na Fianna happy to repeatedly commit fouls high up the pitch to break up any momentum.

Diarmuid Moriarty and Jamie Queeney traded early scores from frees at the start of the second half, and when James McEntee fired over a brilliant score from a tight angle on the right hand side in the 7th minute it was very much game on. However, disaster struck just 3 minutes later as a defensive slip in the treacherous conditions left Daniel Queeney with space in front of goal and he fired to the net. This was swiftly followed by a well struck 45 from Ethan Devine and all of a sudden there was 5 between the teams. Curraha lost Niall McLarnon to injury soon after, with Andrew Coyle taking his place. Dan Queeney extended the lead with another free, with Diarmuid Moriarty responding for Curraha. Ronan Fkynn got the score of the game with a monstrous free from out on the right sideline to reduce the gap to 4 with 4 minutes to play, but Na Fianna pulled everyone back behind the ball and closed the game out well.

Next up for Curraha is a local derby against neighbours Donaghmore/Ashbourne. The game takes place on Saturday August 12 at 6.30pm in Ratoath.

Full Time: Curraha 0-8 Na Fianna 1-9

Curraha: Luke McCarhy, Oisin Fay, Matthew Webb, Seaus Hogan, Niall Murphy, Neil Shortall, Padraig O'Hanrahan (0-1), Ronan Flynn (0-1), Niall McLarnon, Diarmuid Moriarty (0-2), James McEntee (0-2), Jack O'Connor, Gavin Coyle (0-1), Ciaran O'Hanrahan, Conor Moriarty (0-1).

Subs: Phelim Dowling for Neil Shortall, Andrew Coyle for Niall McLarnon

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play