Founded 1903

Co. Meath

Match Report: Curraha v Syddan 'A' League Division 1B08/04/2022

Download our mobile app to hear more about Curraha.

See More

Curraha made the journey to Syddan for the third round of the league, looking for their first points of the campaign.

Curraha started brightly and dominated possession in the early stages. A good team move resulted in an early point for Ruairí O'Sullivan as he fired over from the 21. Syddan were well setup defensively, and were happy to try and soak up the pressure and hit the visitors on the break. They registered the next 4 scores of the game to lead after 20 minutes. Curraha had a number of wides and efforts drop short in this time, as Syddan kept an excellent defensive line and protected their scoring zone. However, Curraha managed to find a way through as Niall Murphy broke the line and played a fine ball to Conor Moriarty on the edge of the square. Moriarty spun past his man and played the ball across goal to find Cian Heagney who tapped home. Syddan registered their 5th point of the game after 25, with O'Sullivan then leveling matters again as he gatered a pass from Murphy to fire over off his left.

This left sides level at the break, 1-2 to 0-5.

Curraha were quick out of the traps in the second half. Following great work by Cian Heagney to turn the ball over, Murphy attacked down the left and pointed from a tight angle. The hosts responded almost immediately with a point, before a big turning point in the game. Andrew Coyle doe brilliantly to turn the ball over inside his own half , Murphy's long ball in was expertly fielded by Conor Moriarty, who instead of claiming the mark, skinned his man and hammered home from a tight angle. Curraha were completely on top at this point, but spurned 3 good point opportunities to keep the hosts in the game. Murphy scored another point in the 13th minute to extend the lead, again firing over off his left from near the left sideline following a quick break after a hop ball on the Curraha 21.

With Curraha threatening to pull away, the hosts managed to work their way back into the game, registering a quickfire 3 points to reduce the margin to 1. However, these would prove to be their final scores of the game. James McEntee scored a close range free after Moriarty was fouled off the ball. Neil Shortall scored an excellent free with 2 minutes to go, having being unlucky to see hos previous 2 efforts come back off the post. Andrew Coyle knocked over the insurance score in injury time to secure an excellent win for Curraha after a fine performance.

Curraha are in action again on Tuesday evening, as we host St.Michaels with throw in at 7pm.

Full-Time: Curraha 2-7 Syddan 0-9

Curraha: Luke McCarthy, Oisin Fay, Matthew Webb, Ian Battersby, Mark Jackson, Niall Murphy (0-2), Brian Joyce, Neil Shortall (0-1), James McEntee (0-1), Conor Joyce, Andrew Coyle (0-1), Sean Ronan, Ruairí O'Sullivan (0-2), Conor Moriarty (1-0), Cian Heagney (1-0)


Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play