Founded 1903

Co. Meath

Match Report: Curraha v Meath Hill. J.M. Food Services - Football League Division 2

Download our mobile app to hear more about Curraha.

See More
Curraha welcomed Meath Hill to Joe McDermott Park for Round 4 of the J.M Food Services League Division 2 on Saturday evening. 

Curraha were off the mark within the opening 30 seconds. Having secured possession from the throw-in, a long ball was played in and then brilliantly fielded by Brian Joyce, who turned and fired over. The visitors had the benefit of a strong breeze in the 1st half, and they used this to good effect in the opening stages as they registered 6 points without reply to open a 5 point lead. A strong defensive display from Curraha kept them in touch throughout the half, and they finished strongly to reduce the gap to 2 at the break. Diarmuid Moriarty opened his account in the 27th minute following a foul on Ruairí O'Sullivan. He added a second soon after with a brilliant run up the left hand side, and despite being fouled a number of times, managed to score an excellent point. He added a free on the stroke if half-time to leave Curraha very much in contention for the 2nd half. 

Curraha continued their scoring streak and again registered a score almost immediately from the throw-in. Moriarty broke up the right hand side and swung over an excellent score, for his 4th score in a row. Ruairí O'Sullivan levelled the game soon after with a fine score after great work from Eoghan Burke, breaking forward from corner back. With conditions now in their favour, the hosts were very much in the ascendancy but had a number of efforts drift wide or drop short. The crucial moment of the game came in the 10th minute. James McEntee brought the ball out of defence and found Diarmuid Moriarty wide on the left. He spun his man and found Conor Moriarty with a cross field pass. Conor broke a tackle and from 2o yards drilled a shot into the top corner of the net for a spectacular goal. 

Diarmuid extended the lead to 4 soon after, with the Gavin and David Coyle linking up to release him down the left and he kicked a right footed effort over the bar. Meath Hill got their first score in over 25 minutes when they converted an 18th minute free, and this was immediately cancelled out by another Diarmuid Moriarty free, a long range effort that dropped on top of the crossbar and spun back up and over. He added another much easier free following a foul on Conor Moriarty after he had drawn a fine save from the Meath Hill keeper. Another long range free soon after was his 8th and final score of the day. The recently un-retired David Coyle scored an excellent point to leave 6 points between the sides with 5 minutes to play. Meath Hill did manage to come back into it, scoring the final 3 points of the day, but weren't able to create the goal scoring opportunity they needed to get back into the game. 

Next up for Curraha is a trip to Dunshaughlin on Saturday 27th April at 6pm. 

Full-time: Curraha 1-11 Meath Hill 0-11 

Curraha: Luke McCarthy, Eoghan Burke, Oisin Fay, Seamus Hogan, Sean Ronan, Mark Jackson, Niall Murphy, Diarmuid Moriarty (0-8), James McEntee, Johnny Cahalan, Conor Moriarty (1-00), Brian Joyce (0-1), Gavin Coyle, Eric O'Donoghue, Ruairí O'Sullivan (0-1)

Subs: David Coyle for Eric O'Donoghue, Conor Joyce for Seamus Hogan, Liam Hogan for Luke McCarthy, Jared Roche for Ruairí O'Sullivan, Conor Joyce for Eoghan Burke.


Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play